Philippine Law School is one of the oldest privately-held law schools in the Philippines. It was ranked 14th among the top-performing law schools in the Philippines by way of percentage of Bar Exam passers in 2012. Founded in 1915 by Attys. Don Simeon and Don Ricardo Conlu Lacson, Philippine Law School was established at its first campus in Intramuros, Manila.
To be the Institution of higher learning of choice particularly for those who aspire to become lawyers in order to advance in their ongoing careers.
To enable working law students to achieve their highest aspirations through education and the pursuit of a degree in Law.
It has been more than a century since the brothers, Don Simeon and Don Ricardo Conlu Lacson of Silay, Negros Occidental, sons of Don Marciano Montelibano Lacson and Doña Emilia Locsin Conlu, founded this Institution of learning – one of the oldest privately-held school of law in the Philippines — known as the Philippine Law School.
Upon the untimely passing of Don Simeon Lacson in 1926, Don Ricardo Lacson became the school’s sole helmsman as President and Dean.
The dark years of World War II had reduced Manila to near-total destruction, with the pursuit of higher education coming to a standstill. It took many years of the Post-Liberation Era (from the Japanese occupation) for schools in all levels to be able to open based on educational standards.
A new school building was erected along Calle Real, Intramuros, in 1953, amidst the ravages of World War II. Don Ricardo proved to be just as dynamic an administrator as his elder brother, Don Simeon. The Institution survived the challenge of time and circumstances.
Upon the passing of Don Ricardo in 1962, the responsibility of the Institution’s administration of the school fell on the shoulders of Atty. Simeon Rene Lacson, who was also President and Chairman of the Board of Lacson College. He transferred the school to Pasay City.
Atty. Simeon Rene Lacson passed away in 2009, leaving the leadership of the school with his children, Vittorio, and Sabina Lacson.
Today, the Philippine Law School’s Board of Trustees is headed by Mr. Vittorio G. Lacson (Chairman), with Ms. Sabina G. Lacson (President/COO) in charge of operations, Atty. Jose Grapilon as Dean, Mrs. Mary T. Plagne as Finance Vice President/Controller and Ms. Sarah Leah Santos as Vice President and Registrar.
· Carlos P. Garcia – 8th President of the Philippines, lawyer, teacher, and poet. Bachelor of Laws (Philippine Law School), Doctor of Humanities (Honoris Causa) National University (1961).
· Diosdado Macapagal – 9th President of the Philippines, 6th Vice President, lawyer, and professor. Bachelor of Laws (attended).
· Neptali Gonzales – President of the Philippine Senate from 1992 to 1993, 1995 to 1996, and 1998, Lawyer, Top 9 in 1949 Philippine Bar Examination.
· Josepha Abiertas – pioneering Filipina feminist, and the first woman to graduate from the school in 1920
· Ambassador León María Guerrero, Former Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs, former Ambassador of the Philippines to the Court of Saint James (United Kingdom)
· Felixberto Serrano, Secretary of Foreign Affairs under President Carlos P. Garcia from 1955 to 1961.
· Cornelio Villareal, Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Philippines from 1962 to 1967, and from 1971 to 1972